The new BMW 1 Series
BMW launches the second generation of its pioneering premium compact range
28 JULY 2011, LONDON
SummaryThe all-new, second generation BMW 1 Series with near 50:50 weight distribution, award-winning EfficientDynamics technologies and the only car in its class with rear-wheel drive offers customers a unique combination of dynamic performance handling and agility. Available with a range of advanced TwinPower petrol and diesel engines, the new BMW 1 Series now comes with with a wide range of customisable options, allowing customers to express their individuality.
- Launches with a choice of three diesel and two petrol engines
- All engines offer a sporty but fuel-efficient proposition boosted by BMW's EfficientDynamics technologies as standard
- New ECO PRO fuel saving mode maximises efficiency
- 83mm longer, 14mm wider and 30mm longer in the wheelbase than its predecessor
- Increased cabin dimensions give greater interior comfort
- The drivetrain layout, with a longitudinally mounted in-line engine at the font and rear-wheeldrive, is unique within the compact segment
- Highest level of standard equipment includes: Auto Start-Stop, Drive Performance Control with ECO PRO mode and 60:40 folding rear seats
- SE spec adds features including freestanding high-resolution 6.5 inch flatscreen monitor and iDrive controller, Bluetooth hands-free facilty and USB audio interface
- BMW Sport adds features including Dark Chrome exhaust pipe, Sport style 17-inch star-spoke light alloy wheels and high-gloss black kidney grille, central air intack trim, side intake surrounds and rear bumper trim.
- BMW Urban adds features including urband style 17-inch V-spoke light-alloy wheels, chrome kidney grille with white slat sides and acrylic glass interior trim in black or white with Oxide Silver accents.
- The new BMW 1 Series goes on sale in the UK on 17 September 2011 from £19,375 OTR for a BMW 116i ES.
About BMW UK Ltd.
The BMW Group is one of the most successful manufacturers of automobiles and motorcycles in the world with its BMW, MINI and Rolls-Royce brands. As a global company, the BMW Group operates 25 production and assembly facilities in 14 countries and has a global sales network in more than 140 countries.
During the financial year 2010, the BMW Group sold 1.46 million cars and more than 110,000 motorcycles worldwide. The profit before tax for 2010 was euro 4.8 billion on revenues amounting to euro 60.5 billion. At 31 December 2010, the BMW Group had a workforce of approximately 95,500 employees.
The success of the BMW Group has always been built on long-term thinking and responsible action. The company has therefore established ecological and social sustainability throughout the value chain, comprehensive product responsibility and a clear commitment to conserving resources as an integral part of its strategy. As a result of its efforts, the BMW Group has been ranked industry leader in the Dow Jones Sustainability Indexes for the last six years.